Confidence is a key theme here at Upgrade Reality. Diggy’s Confidence Black Book is all about building confidence, but recently I came across this study (a collaboration between Columbia and Harvard Universities) which shows that confidence is directly and quickly improved by how you stand. In fact even sitting can improve confidence if you know how. It only takes one minute through mirroring confident, powerful physiology to give yourself a confidence boost that actually temporarily changes your hormone levels.
Note that this is a confidence improvement based on your current capability. It is a quick fix for an immediate confidence boost. For those who have confidence issues and if you want to increase your maximum confidence, go through Diggy’s 30 day program in the Confidence Back Book.
So to get some instant confidence, try this simple trick:
Stand as if you are confident
Yes, that’s it!
The benefits of standing (or even sitting) confidently include:
- Increased testosterone
- Decreased cortisol
- Increased feelings of power
- Improved risk tolerance
Why would I want to increase Confidence through how I stand?
The short answer is because you only need 1 minute to improve your confidence through this method.
- Increased Testosterone improves physical and mental agility in situations like interviews, arguments, and any social interaction.
- Cortisol is the stress hormone. It can help in short bursts in emergencies like when you are injured (it reduces swelling) but stress is not a good for your health and is a real negative when interacting with people.
- Your own confidence increases the confidence that other people have in you. There are many reasons for this, just one being mirror neuronswhich I may write about at a later time (the reason why we feel uncomfortable when we see a spider creeping up someone else’s arm).
- Improved power improves access to resources which in turn improves your chances of success.
So How I Can Get Confidence Through How I Stand or sit?
- Stand confident mirroring someone who is confident.
- Spread your arms and/or legs to take up more physical space than you are usually accustomed to.
- If you are sitting, think how you can sit to take up as much space as you can in the room.
- Take a deep breath and breathe at the top of your lungs (this increases your physical chest volume).
- Stand or sit tall with confidence
- Do this for one minute and, as the study showed, you will have altered your hormone levels and boosted your power and confidence. You should even be able to turn around a bad day by taking a short Confidence break from what you are doing.
So the next time you meet someone who looks successful and confident, ask yourself:
Do they look confident because they are successful?
Are they successful because they look confident?
Want more confidence? Go through Diggy’s 30 day program in the Confidence Back Book.